Classic Apple Dumplings
Prep Time: 25 minutes | Cook Time: 50 minutes | Total Time: 1 hours |
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 apples, peeled and cored
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus additional for rolling
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 sticks butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes and chilled
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 1 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- Combine the flour, sugar and salt in the bowl of a food processor.
Pulse 4-5 times.
- Add the butter and pulse until pea sized crumbs form.
- Slowly stream in the ice water and process the dough until a ball
forms, approximately 30 seconds.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead the
dough until it is completely smooth and the butter is incorporated.
- Divide the dough into two equal pieces and form into a disk.
- Wrap each disk in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 3
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon, ginger,
nutmeg and 1/2 cup sugar to combine. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, whisk the remaining sugar with
the water and cinnamon.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then turn the heat to low.
- Simmer until the sugar is dissolved, approximately 5 minutes.
- Stir in the butter and remove from the heat.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Divide the dough into four equal portions and roll out into a 8-9
- Place an apple in the center of each square and fill with 1
tablespoon brown sugar spice mixture. Top each with 1 tablespoon
- Gently moistened the edges of the square with water and bring up
the corners of the dough to the center. Pinch the edges together to
- Place the apple dumplings in an ungreased baking dish and transfer
to the oven. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the crust begins to
turn golden brown.
- Carefully pour the brown sugar syrup over the apple dumplings and
continue baking for an additional 35-40 minutes or until golden
brown and the apples are tender.
- Remove the apple dumplings from the oven and allow to cool for 10
minutes before serving with ice cream or whipped cream.
Makes: 4 dumplings
Serves: 4 servings